Want To Explore Foster Parenting?
As you begin the journey to explore foster parenting, Georgia’s Kids Belong will support you:
Foster Parent Requirements In Georgia
Georgia Foster Care is your best resource for information about becoming a kinship or foster parent in our state. But here are some key requirements to be aware of.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Demonstrate financial stability.
- Own or rent housing that meets physical-safety standards (e.g., fire extinguishers, adequate bedroom space, reliable transportation).
- Demonstrate home stability. Foster parents do not need to be married, may be single or cohabitating. A live-in relationship with a significant other or same-sex partner should be established for at least one year to demonstrate stability.
Note: This link will take you to Georgia Foster Care; be sure you’ve connected with us using the form above before you leave.
Two Reliable Paths To Become A Certified Foster Parent In Georgia
In Georgia you have two options for becoming licensed as a foster parent.
Work with DFCS
The first is to work through the Department of Family and Children Services.
Generally speaking, local offices are responsible for recruiting, training, and supporting foster, adoptive and kinship families.
Work with a Private Agency
The alternative is to work with one of the dozens of approved licensed child placement agencies (LCPAs) in the state.
- Licensed Child Placing Agencies (LCPAs) work in partnership with local Departments of Social Services to recruit therapeutic foster families.
- LCPAs may be for-profit or nonprofit organizations. Their coverage areas may vary.
- These agencies provide extra training and support for families who take in children with a higher level of need.
Here are some of the licensed child placement agencies here in Georgia who can help you get started.
Note: It is a good practice to confirm the current approved private providers with which DFCS works first.
Watch Fostering Info Panels On-Demand
A great way to learn about fostering is by engaging with folks who have been there. Watch our Fostering Info Panels on-demand, and then sign up to receive information on future events.