Want To Explore Foster Parenting?
As you begin the journey to explore foster parenting, South Dakota Kids Belong will support you:
View kids in our state’s foster care system who are legally free for adoption.
Connect with other foster parents, experts and resources.
Become trauma aware and invite your support network to do the same.
Connect with Foster Friendly Community businesses, faith communities and other organizations that are committed to supporting South Dakota’s kinship and foster families.
Foster Parent Requirements In South Dakota
Stronger Families Together is your best resource for information about becoming a kinship or foster parent in our state. But here are some key requirements to be aware of.
- The only age requirement is a minimum age threshold of 21 years of age.
- Demonstrate financial stability.
- Housing must meet physical-safety standards (e.g., fire extinguishers, adequate bedroom space, reliable transportation), but there is no requirement of home ownership or size of home.
- Demonstrate home stability. Foster parents do not need to be married, may be single or cohabitating. A live-in relationship with a significant other or same-sex partner should be established for at least one year to demonstrate stability.
- To ensure the safety of children in foster care, potential foster families are screened for past criminal activity. Convictions are not necessarily disqualifying, but must go through a review process.
Note: This link will take you to South Dakota Department of Social Services. Be sure you submitted our connect form (above) before leaving South Dakota Kids Belong.
Paths To Fostering and Adoption In South Dakota
In South Dakota you have two options for becoming licensed as a foster parent and additional resources for adoption.
The first is to work through the South Dakota Department of Social Services.
You also have the option to work with an approved private provider, including therapeutic licensing agencies designated by region. For more information visit Stronger Families Together
Eagle / Butte Area: Simply Smiles, Marcella Gilbert, 605.810.4041
Parkston / Dimock: Our Home Connections, Karen Goehring, 605.928.7909
Pierre Area: Capital Area Counseling Carrie Ward, 605.224.5811
Rapid City and Sioux Falls (60-mi radius):
Children’s Home Society Ann Lecy, 605.343-2811
Lutheran Social Services, Jill Jensen, 605.221.2419
If you are interested in adoption you can work directly through Department of Social Services or through approved agency partners like these:
Our team is standing by to help.
Use our connect form (above) or email State Director Kristi Woolsey.
Our America’s Kids Belong family offers a free, one-hour trauma awareness course to help you – and the people you do life with – prepare a strong and healthy support system for kids you care for as a foster parent.
South Dakota Foster Families Share Their Stories
Meet Jared and Keli Wilson, and some other South Dakota foster and biological parents, as they share their experiences.