Every Child Deserves To Belong
When his video appeared on our “I Belong Project” gallery Harvey’s goals were to:
- Get out of the place I’m in right now, and
- Get into a foster home as soon as I can.
Little did he know that bravely sharing his story and hopes for the future would lead to so much more.
“Seeing his video, after knowing just a little bit about Harvey, was just a glimpse into his life,” his father, Mark, said. “Getting to hear his voice, hear him talk, it began to build this connection with a child that was like: ‘We can see him fitting into this home.’”
In February, Mark and his wife Margi adopted Harvey into their family that includes two younger bio children and another baby sister who was born this fall.
Of all the ways you can care for a vulnerable child, one has the power to change their lives forever:
A loving, supportive family.
Your support will help connect more kids in foster care with adoptive families and give them the gift of belonging.
Watch Harvey’s Story.
Why Foster Care?
There are so many causes you can support, so it’s only natural to ask, “Why foster care?”
- The Need Is Great — 400,000 kids in the U.S. have been removed from their homes due to abandonment, neglect or abuse.
- The Trauma Is Significant — Kids are suffering, shuffled from house to house, left to feel like they don’t belong. The losses in foster care keep coming–kids often get separated from siblings, taken out of their schools and away from friends.
- Belonging Is Life Changing – When kids age out of foster care without finding belonging, they face far greater risk for lifelong social wounds like the ones in this graphic…
…but, when kids find belonging in a family it changes their outcomes and creates hope for their futures, families and communities.